Commit to Action!
Commitments for the Future We Want
The United Nations is calling for commitments to action from the private sector to take action in support of UN goals and issues.
Commitments to action can take many forms, leveraging the unique strengths and characteristics of each actor. All commitments are promises to take action, alone or in partnership, including:
- New projects or partnerships;
- Existing activities that are scaled up or accelerated;
- Adding additional partners to existing projects; or
- Renewal of commitments, if activities to realize these commitments are still ongoing.
The UN Conference on Sustainable Development – Rio+20 (20-22 June 2012) will provide a number of opportunities for private sector commitments across a variety of topics to be recognized as important contributions to sustainable development. All commitments to action made ahead of Rio+20 and linked to its agenda will be displayed on this website , featured in the outcome document of the Rio+20 Corporate Sustainability Forum (www.compact4rio.org) and included in an online compendium of commitments on the Rio+20 web site (www.uncsd2012.org).
To make sure that all commitments constitute a significant contribution to sustainable development and that there is transparency around their implementation, they must meet the following minimum criteria:
- Advance one or more UN goal/issue;
- Include time-bound target(s) that can be measured for success; and
- Include an agreement to publicly disclose, on an annual basis, progress made to realize the commitment, throughout its duration.
This website offers a simple form for companies and private sector organizations to submit their commitment to action. All commitments to action will be reviewed by the United Nations, before they are made publically available.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions regarding commitments.
- An offline form can be found here, which can be used within your organization to prepare the commitment for online submission through this website (Microsoft Excel attachment)
- Commitments can take many forms, leveraging the unique strengths of each actor. Guidance on what makes a good commitment can be found here