The UNFCCC secretariat wishes to explore the potential of distributed ledger technologies (DLT), including blockchain technology, in the context of climate change .
The intended partnership aims to:
- Broaden and deepen the understanding of the range of potential uses of DLT in implementing climate action in line with the long-term goal of the Paris Agreement;
- Analyze and consider DLT applications and potential use cases for climate action;
- Facilitate the exchange of information between the DLT/blockchain innovation community and climate change experts;
The intended partnership would implement the following activities:
- Coordinate the exchange of research findings and practical experiences related to applications of DLT/blockchain and climate change;
- Promote and facilitate participation in events aimed at supporting the advancement of knowledge related to DLT/blockchain and climate change interactions;
- Identify concrete areas where DLT may support the implementation and tracking of climate action.