The purpose of this project is to provide those who are blind, visually impaired and those with dyslexia free OCR technology in the form of a mobile application.
Worldwide figures show that there is an estimated 285 Million people who suffer from a degree of visual impairment. Unfortunately, most of those people are still struggling to live a fully independent life and are still being assisted via the state.Project objectives
The current equipment being used by those with a visual impairments is a magnifying solution that consists of a movable platter a document is placed on, a video camera and monitor for reading paper documents and a separate screen reader for electronic documents.
This equipment is expensive, non portable and offers limited assistance. AME Sight has combined portability and functionality with an innovative OCR technology and integrated web browser.
This app will not only read back printed content but will also allow the user to email, save and load documents.
The integrated web browser will allow the internet to be read aloud to the user by tapping on the content.
The idea of this type of mobile application is to empower those with a visual impairment and or dyslexia which will enable that person to grasp back part if not all of that persons independence.
1) To establish a working relationship with the UN which allows AME to assist those with a visual impairment and or dyslexia world wide
2) To support the UN with technologies that would assist in supporting UN staff, clients and other organisations working with the UN
3) For the UN to assist AME in providing AME Sight to those living within third world countries currently in education where AME Sight would be provided free of charge
4) To attend UN functions where disability forms part of the agenda
5) For AME to consult on assistive and adaptive technologies for the blind and visually impaired
We would like to achieve a 5% success rate within the first year of the project starting.
We do not provide the hardware nor do we source it however; if a company wishes to provide the hardware then this is something that can be looked in to.. The app is to be downloaded to the users device.
We currently have the app ready for IOS and Android for both tablets and smart Phones.Beneficiaries
This project is of benefit to everyone worldwide however; for focal communities are:
1) Those with a visual impairment
2) Those with dyslexia and other learning difficulties
3) Empowerment for visually impaired employment seekers
4) Care workers and support staff
6) Social care
This is a new project and has not started.
The main impact areas listed under Beneficiaries are our key areas of which, there are 6.
Currently, we are setting up the infrastructure needed. Once complete, we will be ready to start the project.Project URL
1. No poverty; 3. Good health and well-being; 4. Quality education; 5. Gender equality; 8. Decent work and economic growth; 9. Industry, innovation and infrastructure; 10. Reduced inequalities; 11. Sustainable cities and communities; 12. Responsible consumption and production; 17. Partnerships for the goalsPartnership types of interest
Business opportunities in low income communities/countries ; Project funding; Provision of goods; Standards and guidelines developmentRegions / countries / territories
Africa: Nigeria; South Africa
Americas: 7 countries
- Trinidad and Tobago
- United States
Asia: 9 countries
- China - Hong Kong (Special Administrative Region)
- China - Macau (Special Administrative Region)
Europe: 23 countries
- Czech Republic
- Holy See
- Isle of Man
- Russian Federation
- United Kingdom
Middle East: 7 countries
- Saudi Arabia
- United Arab Emirates
The locations listed are just a few of our main location focal points. The project is worldwide.Issue areas
Child Labour; Children's Rights; Education; Forced Labour; Gender Equality; Human Rights; Human Trafficking; Indigenous Peoples; Labour; Migrant Workers; Persons with Disabilities; Poverty; Principle 1; Principle 2; Principle 3; Principle 4; Principle 5; Principle 6; Social Enterprise; Women's Empowerment; YouthBusiness sectors
Health Care; Industrial Goods & Services - Support Services; Other; Technology; Telecommunications; Travel & Leisure